Research for the product was based on studies that have found that the endocannabinoid system is made up of a network of receptor sites on cell membranes throughout the body. These cannabinoids behave as chemical activators that fit into those sites (CB1 & CB2). CB1 receptors are found predominately in the brain and central nervous system, and CB2 receptors in immune system cells and, to a lesser extent, in the brain.
Key ingredients in BALANCE include:
- CBD—CBD is a non-psychoactive compound found in the female cannabis plant that increases the levels of a naturally occurring cannabinoid in the brain called anadamide, which helps to regulate serotonin and dopamine, the neurotransmitters that trigger emotions. Preliminary studies have shown CBD to support a healthy inflammatory response, promote a feeling of relaxation, and maintain nervous system function in the body.
- Phenethylamine (PEA)—PEA is an organic compound that is found in foods like chocolate, beans and nuts that acts as a neurotransmitter in the body and has been shown to support focus and clarity, and promote a mood of wellbeing. Science has revealed that these results are due to the ability of PEA to reduce uptake and increase efflux of serotonin, dopamine and norepinephrine in the body.
- Hordenine—Hordenine is an alkaloid that naturally occurs in many plant foods (particularly barley). It has been suggested that hordenine may promote energy and focus due to its adrenergic properties, which cause nerve cells to release the neurotransmitters epinephrine and norepinephrine.
- DL-Phenylalanine (DLPA)—DLPA is a combination of D- and L- isomers of the amino acid phenylalanine. Phenylalanine can be converted into tyrosine, which is used to synthesize dopamine, epinephrine and norepinephrine, which can support mental alertness and focus when the body is under stressful conditions.
- Ashwagandha—Ashwagandha is an ayurvedic herb that has been used as an adaptogen for restoring physical and mental energy, especially when under daily stress. The ingredient has been shown to balance cortisol levels by mimicking the inhibitory neurotransmitter GABA. It has also been studied for its immune-activating effect and nootropic potential.
- Theobromine—Theobromine is a flavanol antioxidant compound found in the cacao bean which stimulates the nervous system with effects similar to caffeine. Studies have shown that the compound can increase mental function in older adults and has the ability to act on brain neurotransmitters to improve mood and increase energy.
- Curcumin—Curcumin is a compound found in turmeric. It is one of the most extensively investigated compounds of natural origin with many studies validating its role in promoting a healthy inflammatory response, antioxidant activity, and cell protection. Neurological tissue is particularly susceptible to oxidative stress, and curcumin has been shown to inhibit expression of COX-2 enzymes in the body’s inflammatory process.
Mighty Self Balance is non-psychoactive, contains no artificial flavors, is sugar free and each bottle contains 25 capsules (suggested usage is one capsule per day). It is available at a retail price of $39.95 at mightycbd.co, where you can find more information about the brand.